Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Day fun. . .sort of.

Monday is Valentine's Day.  The day of love.  And to show my son how much I love him (and all things crafty), I decided that I would make our own Valentine's cards.  If you go to The Idea Room, you'll find a ton of ideas for super cute Valentine's cards for kids to bring in.  I saw them and I wanted to do that.  I didn't.  I realized that since they're probably going to get messed up in my son's backpack between our house and school (which is only a 2 minute drive. . .and yes, I drive him that super short distance), I thought simple might be better.  Here's what I came up with:
Okay, I can't say that I came up with it myself.  That would be lying (and I'm trying to teach the girl that lying is BAD!).  I found them at Bright Ideas.  It's the website for all things M&M and yumminess.  Between two teachers and 18 kids, I thought I was going to throw up pink, red, and purple hearts by they end of it.  What do you think?  If you can't tell, they're supposed to be fish.  The fish of Love :)  I wasn't sure the boy was going to be able to put his name on all of them.  He was pretty tired of it after the first nine.  You should have seen him when I told him that I forgot the teacher cards and he had two more to do.  But they are done and off to school today.  Why so early?  I guess they are putting them in mailboxes today.  At least that is what the boy told me and he said he NEEDED to bring them today.  Actually the conversation went like this:

Boy: What are you doing?
Me: I'm cutting hearts to make your class Valentine's cards.
Boy: What are you doing with the chocolate?
Me: I'm putting them on the cards.
Boy: Can I eat one?
Me: No.  I have to make sure I have enough for the cards first.
Boy: (Insert whiny tone here as a result of no chocolate).  Well, there are a lot of kids in my class and I need them tomorrow.  So you better work faster.
And off he goes to destroy the enemy castle in his room. . .

Oh, and as a result of me needing to bring lots of wonderful candy to school, those little fish cards are not the end of it.  On Monday for the party, I'm also bringing these:
Little baby food jars, filled with M&Ms and candy hearts.  Because the little piece of chocolate on the card wasn't enough, I thought the kids needed more sugar!  I painted the jars pink, put a little piece of tissue paper inside, added the candy (they are evenly distributed, because I didn't want some kid to think he got less than another. . .because things like that MATTER!), covered the lid with more tissue paper, and finally tied it off with curling ribbon with hearts attached.  Wow, that was one long run off sentence. In case you're wondering, 6 candy hearts and 16 M&Ms.  And RJ made sure that I got the plain chocolate M&Ms, because some kids in his class can't eat or don't like the peanut ones.  I don't know if this is due to allergies or just a general dislike, he was vague on the subject.  Maybe he's like me and didn't want to have to share the peanut M&Ms with others.  So, Valentine's Day parts 1 & 2 are done!  Sunday is the day for part 3. . .I'm making CUPCAKES!  Yes, I'm that mother sending in as much sugary goodness as possible.  You know you wish there was a mom like me in your kindergarten class!

On a very random side note. . .MY NEW WASHER CAME YESTERDAY!!!  Now, my beautiful dryer has a partner!  I don't think I can describe how excited I am to have these.  They are LG and they are the greatest things EVER!  I did 3 loads of laundry yesterday, just to do laundry!  The only downfall, the dryer doesn't fold my clothes.  If it did, I would be golden.  I hate folding laundry, I really really HATE it.  I would pay someone to come in and fold it for me.  That and emptying the dishwasher.  Oh well, I guess I can live with it. . .until my kids are old enough to fold for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment