Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fried Rice, Fish Sticks, and other things

I've made fried rice twice this week.  My boy LOVES LOVES LOVES fried rice.  When I was making it on day one, he kept coming into the kitchen saying, "I just wanted to check to see how things are coming along" or "Mmmm, that sure smells good."  On day two, I didn't tell him I was making it, but when he caught on and realized that I was, he said "FRIED RICE!!!  You're the best mommy EVER!"  So, just in case you were wondering, I'm the best mommy EVER.  I suppose I should point out that this was after I was called the worst mommy ever because I chose to drive to pick him up from school rather than walk.  Yes the school is only a 5 minute walk away, but it was cold.  I'm a wimp in the cold and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Moving on. . .
To celebrate being the best mommy EVER, I thought I would share the wonderfulness that helped me attain this coveted and most sought after title.  So for your feasting pleasure, I give you my (mom's) fried rice recipe (it's on tab on the side. . .because it would take up this whole post if I put it here. . .and you if you don't see it there yet, keep checking back, I promise it'll pop up soon).
I felt I needed to serve something else with the rice.  Contrary to my son's beliefs, one cannot live on fried rice alone.  I found a yummy recipe for homemade fish sticks.  You need to go to the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen and try it out.  You can find the recipe here.

Now that we've gotten the fried rice and fish sticks out of the way, let's move on to the other things.  I've been semi crafty this week.  We're moving soon (don't ask me when, because I don't know!), so I'm trying to keep the craftiness contained to make it easier to pack up.  As of today, all my scrapbooking is packed into two HUGE bins and half of my fabric is packed up in a smaller bin.
I need more bins.
 I need a lot more bins.
Anyone want to donate bins?
No?  That's alright, I'll make do.

The first project on the list, and I'm sure this will shock a few. . .I've finally finished the girl's summer dress!  I finally hemmed it and put the buttons on.  In case you don't realize what a feat this is, let me tell you.  I made this dress over a month ago.  It has been sitting on my craft table for a month, just waiting to be hemmed.  I don't like hemming.  I was going to cheat and use the tape stuff, but then I felt instant guilt for not doing it myself.  So, I put the tape back on the shelf and decided to buckle down and just do it.  Well, that was like 2 weeks ago!  But FINALLY!  Finally it is FINISHED!  I have won!

I'll stop now and just show you a picture.
I can't wait until we move and it's warm, because I really want her to wear it!
Second on the list of finished projects, a bandana dress.  I had a friend come over for coffee and crafting on Tuesday morning.  We had espresso, I crafted, she gossiped, and it was wonderful.  I love days like that.  Just so you know, if you come over and just talk, I'll make anything for you. . .sometimes adult talk is hard to come by in this house.  But back to the dress, we got the pattern from Daisy Janie.  It was super easy.  If we weren't talking so much, we would have busted out the three we made in less than an hour.  Instead it took us like four hours, but who's counting?!  I don't want to keep you waiting any longer. . .here you go:
The girl picked the color she wanted.  She's only two, I'm not completely sure she knows which color she picked.  Oh well.
I've also been working on headbands this week.  I've been wanting to make cute things to put in my hair for awhile and I think "March of Hair" over at Accomplishing Motherhood got me energized to do it.  I started simple with just a few felts flowers attached to a headband.  What do you think?  Would you wear them?
 These are two separate headbands, with one flower each.

 Here's my sweet little model, showing off the red/white flower look. . .with a cheesy grin that I love so much!

 This headband has two little flowers (one blue, one yellow).

Any thoughts?

Lastly, I just want you to know that it was warm today.  Like 65 degrees warm.  I couldn't believe it!  Because I don't know when that kind of weather will return to this area (and I don't know when I'll move to GA where it's warm like that regularly).  I couldn't resist putting on a pair of capris (as well as putting a pair on the girl).



I'll leave you with a few pictures of the kids. . .just for laughs :)

 He's in wrestling and it is hilarious!

No she isn't yelling in anger. . .but I'm not quite sure what she is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment